The Greenwich House
The Greenwich House Preschool is the city’s first day-care
program for children. It opened at Greenwich House in 1920
and our tradition as caregiver and educator of the city’s
children continues today. Over the decades, the program has
sustained essential services that have benefited generations
of New Yorkers.
Within the safe and friendly environs of Greenwich Village,
our Preschool offers a range of educational and recreational
activities that contribute to a child’s physical, social,
intellectual and emotional development. State certified teachers,
qualified assistants, teacher’s aides, and student volunteers
provide a creative, multi-faceted, age-appropriate curricula
for children from 2.6 to 6 years of age.
There are a variety of opportunities for hands-on experiences
in the program’s well-equipped facility of three classrooms,
an indoor gymnasium, a tricycle track, and an outdoor rooftop
playground. A full-service kitchen provides breakfast, lunch
and an afternoon snack each day. Other services include: early
childhood education specialists, recreational activities and
trips, parent support group, and evaluation and referral for
The Preschool’s Goals & Objectives
• Create a social atmosphere, which encourages communication, safety, comfort,
friendliness and joy.
• Provide for individual interests and needs.
• Provide a balance of activities for small groups, large groups and individual
• Help children to move from one level of development and learning to another.
• Select and organize learning materials and classroom equipment to ensure
an appropriate enviroment for play, manipulation and exploration.
• Encourage self-sufficiency and responsibility.
• Ensure that the development of basic language and math skills are woven
into the total program.
• Facilitate curriculum development, which is creative, multifaceted and
The Preschool is licensed
by New York City’s
Board of Health and funded by the Agency for Child Services
(ACS). The Preschool has capacity for 50 children and an ongoing
enrollment throughout the year. Parents should contact the
Preschool Director to determine their eligibility for ACS funding.
The Preschool also has space available for children whose parents
are not eligible for a subsidy from ACS. Please call the Preschool
director for further information. A medical checkup including
up-to-date immunization is required of all children before
The preschool operates Monday thru Friday, 8:00am – 5:45pm,
and is located at:
27 Barrow Street, (between W. 4th Street and Seventh Avenue South), 5th Floor.
For more information or to speak with the Director, please call: 212.242.4140,
extension 269 (Fax: 212.366.4226)